Crystals are Living Beings as Everything is Energy, and need cleansing and recharging on a regular basis... just as we cleanse ourselves daily.
We recommend cleansing crystals at least* once a month or more depending on how often you work with your crystals. Those which are worn, such as bracelets or other jewelry, should be cleansed more often as they interact with our own energies more therefore need recharging.
One of the most common methods of cleansing and recharging crystals are under the Full Moonlight (though not eclipses as the energies can be volatile). What we call "Moon-bathing" by leaving them under the Full Moon by the window sill or on the balcony (outdoors is ideal however challenging at times with apartment living we know). If left outside overnight, be sure that your crystals are not sensitive to water, in case of any rain or morning dew and condensation.
Other methods of cleansing can include (though not limited to):
- Sunlight: Allow your crystals to bathe in the Sun's rays to be cleansed and recharged for 24 hours. Be careful as some colored crystals such as amethyst, rose quartz, aquamarine, celestite, etc. can fade over time if exposed to extended periods of time in direct sunlight.
- Sound: Sound is frequency and through the vibrations we are also able to cleanse crystals, including but not limited to any sound baths, singing bowls, gongs, tuning forks, or even bells.
- Sacred Smoke: One of the more popular methods in cleansing; Plants have the ability to aid in cleansing crystals, as well as ourselves and our space. White Sage, Mugwort, Juniper, Rosemary, Cedar, Palo Santo, Pine, or even incense containing these types of herbs are powerful cleansers. Likewise flowers such as Rose, Lavender and other flowers may also provide cleansing support.
Be sure to always keep the windows or doors open when cleansing, as we are asking the sacred smoke to carry away any negative or dense energies-- and if the windows are closed, they'll just be left inside the home circling with no place to exit.
- Salt Bath: Crystals may be placed in a bucket covered in dry Himalayan or Sea salt for 24 hours, as salt holds cleansing and purifying energies. *Do not use the salt afterwards as it should be disposed of after cleansing use.
- Mother Earth: Water, Earth, Other Crystals
* Water: Crystals may be cleansed with live water, such as live springs, waterfalls, or the ocean. Though first please check to see if your crystal is water friendly! As general reference, if the crystal name ends in -ite, it may be adverse to water, so cleansing another way will be best if you're unsure.
* Earth: Crystals may be placed back into Mother Earth for cleansing and recharging, i.e. dig a hole in the ground, and then covered with earth for ~24 hours. However, be sure that the earth is not wet (check the weather forecast), as dry soil is best. This also is an extremely powerful way to reset crystals-- if they can be buried in the ground for 1 lunar cycle, new moon to new moon...
* Other Crystals: Clear Quartz, Selenite, and Blue Kyanite are self-cleansing crystals and can also help to cleanse, purify, and recharge other crystals. Place other next to on top of the Clear Quartz, Selenite, or Blue Kyanite for 24 hours. Beaded crystal jewelry such as bracelets or rings can be cleansed using this method too.
- Intention: By using our intention and holding the crystal in our hands, allow bright white light from Source to flow through and intentionally see the crystal being cleansed, purified, and recharged by bathing in the loving and unconditional energy and light.
Happy Care & Cleansing!